Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Today's topic ~ Writer's Block

I'll write more about the ranch later…



For now, the act of writing is what's staring me in the face. Dissertation, article, conference presentation proposal, wedding vows…
Is there such a thing as writer's block? Some think not. I'm inclined to side with them. Stephen King says that if you're not reading, then you have no business writing. Maybe that's my problem. I haven't had time to pick up reading material for pleasure since I started working on this degree two years ago. I've read tons of academic material, but let's face it - more often than not it's not exactly what I'd call inspirational. I have a big problem with writing papers and articles that are voiceless. I just can't do it. While writing Chapter Two of my dissertation (the literature review), I thought I would bore myself to death - literally. Here lies Bethanie, her own dry lifeless words killed her. How do you not pour yourself into your words?
Many authors advise to take breaks; that if you're unable to get the flow going, you need to leave it for a while. Others (most likely a smaller group, I would think) say to sit there until something appears, even if it takes eons. I think I agree with the latter - I find that if I sit long enough and get the "Pletcher stare" going and let myself take in my surroundings, something eventually comes.

~A lady with a platinum pixie cut in tight jeans and 5-inch heels walks out of my little coffee place. They sell flowers here - hydrangeas, roses, daisies. I sit outside so I can people-watch. It is hot, but the ceiling fans make it tolerable. They play French accordion  tunes, and today there are two couples sitting outside who speak French. Women stop in for coffee after their workouts at the fitness place across the street. Man I feel out-of-shape and lazy. I tell myself this is ok because my brain is working overtime, so my body can rest. I like coming here for these reasons. Cavan says I like coming here because Paper Source is next door.~

happy writing to all my fellow doctoral students, letter-writers, and songwriters.


Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything really good."
– William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment